Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Schedule Change


Cooper Field


Marist-Georgetown Game Nixed


This was the weekend where the Lions were expecting to get a good look at their first two opponents when Marist was scheduled to play Georgetown at 1pm Saturday in D.C.

But the game has been canceled due to a "COVID-related" training camp pause for the Hoyas. It's not clear exactly what that means, but the game is off. 

That means whatever scouting advantage Columbia may have gained has been lost, but it also means that Marist won't be any less rusty than CU when the Lions host them (hopefully) for their home opener on September 18th. Marist does not have a game scheduled on 9/11, so it's their season opener too. 

Columbia's other non-league opponent, Central Connecticut State, is playing a cupcake of a game against Southern Connecticut this Friday night at home. There may not be too much to learn from that game, but we'll take a look anyway. 

This also means that my weekly game predictions will not begin this week as planned. Since the Marist-GU game is canceled and the CCSU game will not have a betting line. 

Green Still the Man

Transfer QB Joe Green is still looking like the best at that position as training camp hits the midway point. But I get the feeling no decision will be made public until the two-deeps for the Marist game emerge about 3-4 days before the opener. And even then, my money would be on the two-deep saying something like "Player X OR Player Y" at QB, as opposed to stating one starter and one backup. Stay tuned. 

O-Line Thoughts

As one might expect after such a long layoff, the offensive line is apparently taking some time to get in sync. I have a good idea about projected starters on the OL that I won't publish now. But I can say I am encouraged by some stats I compiled based on what I'm seeing as the likely starting front five:

-The average weight is 296 lbs. This easily feels like the biggest OL we've ever had

-The average age is 21 1/2, which I like as well. With college O-linemen, the older the better.

-Considering the long layoff, there's decent experience at the position. I just think it's very hard to get an offensive line to work well together without sustained regular practices. 

No Superstitions, but...

I'm determined not to jinx things by reporting about some developments from camp. I'm going to leave it at that. 

No comments: