Saturday, September 12, 2020

All's that's Been Lost

 Today is September 12, 2020. 

Today should be the beginning of "game week" to start the Ivy League football season.

Today should have been the day I publish my final predictions for the upcoming year.

Today should have been a lot of things.

But instead, Columbia Football and most of the rest of college football is silent and we don't even know when our sport will resume.

As much as I'm feeling pretty bereft about missing my favorite part of the sports year, my real sympathies go out to the student athletes and the student body in general. Something has been stolen from them, and there's really no knowing if the theft was in any way justified. Not only are sports canceled, but Columbia's entire fall semester is a sham of online classes that takes away the true educational atmosphere that is interacting with classmates and professors in and out of class. 

I'd be lying if I didn't admit that the COVID-19 lockdowns and cancellations weren't a major reason why I've taken almost 5 months off from posting here, even as the incoming 2020 freshmen class was announced and we've learned of new commitments for 2021. I will resume with some updates and analysis beginning this week.

But for now, I just wanted to express what I think all of us are feeling: frustration and sadness. 






1 comment:

Peter Stevens said...

Great to hear your voice again! Your return will help keep the entire CU football community together while continuing to serve as an important and positive interface with those who are interested in the Ivy League and especially our Lions.