Sunday, May 14, 2023

Farewell to a Friend

I've been blogging about Columbia football for 19 years now, doing so first and foremost in hopes of inspiring and connecting the Lion fanbase and hoping to help the team in many ways. It's a part of what has now been 36 years of my faithful support for the program from my late high school years, through my four years at Columbia, and the many decades as an alumnus. 

But I am always humbled when I hear about the lifelong efforts of people like Robert "Doc" Lincoln, who passed away last week at 96. Here is the official obituary for him posted by the athletic department. 

We all try to help in any way we can, but people like Doc Lincoln clearly go well above and beyond the call. While many may remember his help in recruiting players, it was also the advice and aid he offered players well after graduation that really stands out. 

It may be hard for me or most of us to imagine giving so much of ourselves. But one thing I have grasped and appreciated during these five decades is that you get to meet and befriend some amazing people by being even a tangential part of Columbia football... and Doc Lincoln was far from just a tangent. 

May his memory be a blessing to his family and friends. 

 

2 comments:

doc/jock said...

Thank you Jake.

Anonymous said...

Doc Lion was the penultimate football alum…rest in peace Sir!