Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Deep Thoughts about Depth



The W.C. Matthews Trophy belongs to CU!

I’m still on a high after attending Columbia’s two game sweep of Dartmouth to win the Ivy League Baseball Championship series. It was such a great day for Columbia and the fans in every way. Winning the Ivy baseball title in 2008 was great, but we had to watch that series on the internet as the games were in Hanover, NH. This time, there was a standing room only crowd getting into every pitch all afternoon long with perfect weather to boot.

The baseball team showed all the qualities we’d like to see the football team acquire, especially coming through in the clutch.

It’s a great thing that Head Coach Pete Mangurian regularly uses Facebook and Twitter to praise the baseball team, as it shows he recognizes what it takes to succeed in Columbia sports.

I hope Columbia gets a chance to play somewhere relatively close to New York in the NCAA regionals. We won’t find out until the end of this month.


Spring Game


A better, more detailed analysis of the spring game/scrimmage/demonstration is surely coming from Mangurian’s own keyboard probably by tonight, so I will keep my impressions short and hopefully a little different from what you’re likely to see elsewhere.

I mostly liked what I saw Saturday night.

I liked the new format for the “spring game,” as it helps focus on individual units of the team.

I liked the emphasis on getting the younger players more playing time and saving the sure starters from possible injury. (That’s a tradition Mangurian started last year and it’s a sound practice. Look up "Chad Musgrove" if you don't know what I'm talking about).

I liked the way Augie Braddock, (I wrote "Augie Williams" before because I miss that dude), and Cameron Molina played, giving me hope that we have the deepest running talent Columbia has seen in about 10 years.

I liked the way Trevor McDonagh is clearly good enough to start in the Ivies. I think he may get a lot of snaps early in the season when Columbia is playing its non-conference schedule and Brett Nottingham gets more used to the system. I still think Nottingham is our starter, but McDonagh is making that decision a little tougher to make. And that’s what every football team needs to happen at every position.

My dream of seeing a NYC-HS recruit turn into a Lion star got a shot in the arm thanks to the play of rising sophomore Toba Akinleye Saturday night

I also agree with Mangurian’s assessment of the tight end play. It was improved and has suddenly become an area where Columbia seems to have good depth.

I like the way the secondary is starting to look. It’s still #3 on my list of units I’m worried about, (#1 is the O-line, #2 are the linebackers), but with Malcom Thaxton’s improved play, it’s less of a concern.

Speaking of the linebackers and O-line, there was nothing there to make me worry more… but I’m still about as concerned as I can be. Without marked improvement from the offensive line, Columbia won’t accomplish much this fall. And if the linebacker play deteriorates, the challenge to improve on last year’s 3-7 record will be steep.

Again, for a more detailed and reliable analysis of the performances on the field let’s wait for the official release from Mangurian today or tonight.  

Here’s my overview on where we are as we head into the loooong wait before training camp begins in late August:

Mangurian and the players can only focus on improving themselves. The trouble is, much of what will determine Columbia’s fate in 2013 is the schedule of opponents. Unless the Lions make significant improvements to every unit of the team, even matching last year’s 3-7 record will be difficult. That’s no fault of the players or Mangurian, it’s just the nature of the game.

There are reasons to be optimistic, mostly on offense. I can’t remember the last time Columbia had this much real talent in the passing and running games. That kind of balance can make up for a lot of problems in other parts of a team, within reason.

The other reason to be optimistic is at least the defensive line seems to be shaping up quite well despite the graduation loss of Josh Martin. There’s a deep level of talent at DE and DT, and that should help reduce any major problems at linebacker.

But it keeps coming back to depth, doesn't it?

I remember before the 2007 spring game, and how good I was feeling about the Lions after their strong 2006 finish. Then, someone from the athletic department who I've known for a long time reminded me that depth was still a problem for the team. And sure enough, 2-3 injuries during the fall of that year doomed Columbia to a 1-9 season.

Now we have a team that has actual talented depth at QB, RB, WR, TE, and on the DL. The secondary may not be too far behind. I wish the O-line looked better now even though I know it will be better by the time the season starts. That needs to happen.

For the next 137 days until the season kicks off, we’ll be a bit in the dark about what this team is capable of.  That’s the nature of the beast. So let me apologize in advance for the kinds of “grasping at straws” posts you might see here in the summer months. 

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quick correction Jake - #44 is Alec Fisher, no longer Augie "Triple Dogg" Williams. Glad to hear he had a good day running the ball.

Anonymous said...

"I liked the way Trevor McDonagh is clearly good enough to start in the Ivies." For which Ivy is McDonagh better than the projected starter?

Anonymous said...

Jake, did you see any of the recruits? If so, are they big etc.?

Jake said...

McDonagh is better than any QB Yale has right now.

Anonymous said...

Unless Fordham, Penn and Dartmouth make significant improvements, the Lions should be quite competitive vs. them.

Jake said...

Fordham is indeed a lot better than the team we faced early last year. The Rams got better every week and seem to have figured out how to use their athletic scholarships properly now. Dartmouth will be better and will be playing us at home. Penn has the gutsiest QB in the Ivies in Ragone, who knows how to win, even if it is winning ugly.

oldlion said...

In the Ivies, with a very weak OL, and the first year of the new coaching regime, we were not competitive in two Ivy games. We were competitive in the other five. In our non-league schedule we were not competitive in one of three games. Overall we were competitive in seven games of which we won three. I simply think that Jake is being too negative. I think we will be a much stronger and more talented team across the board this year.

Anonymous said...

Jake's comments about OL sounds like CU will have a real challenge ahead. I have heard a lot about the struggles last year, but it is disconcerting that it appears we have not really addressed significant improvements in that area.I was hoping to hear a more encouraging report about this issue from the spring game.

Anonymous said...

I counted roughly 11 2013 recruits in attendance

Anonymous said...

We can have Brett Nottingham at QB and he can be the best QB in the Ivy League but he won't win any games for us if we have a weak O-line.

Jake said...

I'm actually very POSITIVE about Columbia's improvement. But I am being realistic about our opponents. What we did last year is irrelevant. Fordham is a better team than it was last year and we play them on the road this time. Monmouth is a better team than Marist. Lehigh will probably not be as good, but this is a very strong program. Cornell and Yale are road games this year, etc.

jock/doc said...

Let's harp some more on the much maligned "OL". I believe that Jake is a great asset, but he is way too negative about the toughness of schedule.
And I don't care how many F**ing recruits were there or how big they looked. This coach has a system and it will will not work. See you anonymous guys in September at Fordham!!

ungvar said...

Haters can't help themselves.

Anonymous said...

Jock/Doc needs to silence himself

Anonymous said...

How does anyone KNOW in May another team has improved! It's not clear the Lions have, in fact.

Anonymous said...

http://www.columbiaspectator.com/2013/05/07/nbc-new-york-football-player-charged-hate-crime

Chad Washington, rising junior

jock/doc said...

My post should have read "The coach has a system and it will OR will not work"
Sorry for the typo.
Also, I am really impressed by your comment about silencing myself Mr (Ms ?) Anonymous. I will leave the posting to your clever remarks. :)