Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Fighting for a Lion

Kirk Gibson



The news came down today that former baseball great Kirk Gibson has been diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease.

I'm sorry to say that this disease has also touched the Columbia football community as former standout defensive lineman Jim Daine '93 is also suffering from this disease.

I only learned about Jim's condition earlier this month but he tells me he was first diagnosed in January of 2014.

Jim is treating the disease with drugs, voice and physical therapy out of Helen Hayes Hospital in Stony Point, NY.

I want to do a full interview with Jim soon, but for now he asks all of us to know that Helen Hayes Hospital is trying to be one of the premiere Parkinson's therapy centers in the NY area.

Jim says the program there has gotten him back in the gym and seems to be really helping.

Donations can be made to Helen Hayes Hospital Foundation Inc. 51-55 Route 9W North, West Haverstraw, NY 10993. Please put "Parkinson's program's" in the memo section of the check.

I just want to add that Jim wasn't just a great player, he has been a great supporter of Lions football and a tremendous friend to many alums over the years.

Again, I hope to do a full interview with Jim soon but for now I know he and his family are in all of our prayers.

1 comment:

I remain, very truly yours, Richard Szathmary said...

He's certainly included now in what passes for my prayers. I wish him only well.