Friday, May 4, 2012

Special Words







Eligibility and UTSA

While UT San Antonio is scheduled to join the FBS division in 2014, it is still currently an FCS team and I can't see how incoming transfer Jake Wanamaker won't have to sit out the 2012 season.

However, if you like to hope like me... you could make the case that since 2014 would be Wanamaker's senior season, isn't he technically an FBS player and MAYBE the NCAA will let his play for us right away?

I admit that's a stretch, but we can hope.


Mangurian's Latest


Make sure you read Head Coach Pete Mangurian's latest piece on how the special teams performed during the spring.

The highlights, in my opinion are:

-Some starters may have to play on special teams despite the risk of injury.

-Punting seems to be the strongest aspect so far, and it sounds like we'll to that newly hot trend of placing three guys between the punter and the long snapper for extra protection.

-Place kicking is a bit of a mess, especially kick block protection.

-The freshmen are going to get a real chance to compete for the punt and kickoff returning jobs.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Another terrific write-up from Coach Mangurian, I'm not used to all this information from any Columbia coach. Pete obviously knows everything you need to know to be a successful football coach and is not scared to communicate his knowledge to Columbia Fans. I also like the fact that he holds regular individual meetings with the players. I wish my coach did that during my undergraduate days at Columbia