Thursday, July 18, 2013

Summer Reading





The Columbia Spectator has really started to make progress with its efforts to create online archives. 

For football fans, this has resulted in a treasure trove of reading material complete with a lot of compelling original pictures of the team throughout the decades.

Just go to the search bar at the archive site, (linked to above), and type in the name of any player and enjoy.

No matter how starved you are for the 2013 season to finally start, going through these archives will help the waiting go faster. I guarantee it.

The pictures are amazing, because they include images of players you just can't find anywhere else. 

Want to see a pic of Paul Kaliades kicking the legendary FG that shocked Dartmouth and beat the Big Green back in 1971? 


Want to see what NFL QB Marty Domres looked like when he was a very young Columbia sophomore?


I think you get the idea.

There are too many jewels that I’ve found just in the last few days to mention, but you can be sure I will linking to these archives very often from now on to highlight important or just fun pieces of football history.


More Reading


A reader sent me these very recent reviews of both Wien Stadium
 Wien Stadium and Jack Coffey Field.

In general, I have to say I strongly agree with just about all the points in these reviews and long-time readers of my Columbia blogs will see a lot of the things I’ve written about both venues repeated in them.

Here are some reviews of other stadiums where Columbia often plays:


Penn’s Franklin Field

Princeton Stadium

Bucknell’s Christy Mathewson Stadium


Towson’s Unitas Stadium

Enjoy!

No comments: