Saturday, July 7, 2012

Get to Know Them!





On a Facebook post yesterday, Head Coach Pete Mangurian urged reader to "Get to know the team."

Well said, coach! 

Helping fans and potential fans get to know the team has been a singular goal of mine for years and I will continue to do so this summer. 

That's whether the athletic department deigns to do the same. You'll recall that last summer, there wasn't a single piece about any of the returning players or the team at all. I got all kinds of excuses from the department when I openly complained about this last year, none of which I will waste your time repeating. But the bottom line is that our athletes deserve recognition, as much as possible. 

I wish I could write more about each of the players, but sometimes less is more. 

Before I do that, I will put each of the players I plan to profile into some specific categories:



Top Offensive Players

QB-Sean Brackett
TE-Hamilton Garner
OL-Scott Ward


Top Defensive Players

DE-Joshua Martin
LB-Ryan Murphy
DE-Seyi Adebayo
LB-Zach Olinger
LB-Mike Waller
DE-Nick Melka

Special Teams Stars

P-Paul Delaney
K-Luke Eddy 


Guys Who Need to Step it Up

WR-Connor Nelligan
WR-Louis DiNovo
DB-Brian DeVeau
DL-Wells Childress
LB-Brian East
RB-Nick Gerst
RB-Marcorus Garrett
OL-Eric Walker


Dark Horses

DB-Augie Braddock'
DE-Chad Washington
OL-Alec Kosminskas
WR-Kal Prince


Top Freshmen

LB-Alec Davison
OL-Austin Stock
DT-Niko Padilla
DL-Daren Napier
DB-Kevin McCarthy
QB-Trevor McDonagh


These profiles all come with the obligatory disclaimer: I realize I'm leaving out some deserving names and there will certainly be more than couple players who stand out this year that neither I nor anyone else will expect to do so. 

But I think that if you learn a decent amount about the 28 young men listed above, you'll be more than adequately prepared to follow the 2012 season. 

I'll start tomorrow with Sean Brackett and every profile will just be a quick, "baseball card" summary, (feel free to print them out and bring them with you to the games!).

4 comments:

lionrock said...

Terrific idea! Publicizing the players is very important.

Anonymous said...

At least one or two of the incoming wide receivers is likely to see action almost immediately. Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic, but I'm expecting much more offense from our Lions next year. This year's incoming class as some very talented players at the skills positions. If Wanamaker is eligible this fall, and it seems he is, then we will have at least four newcomers who are capable of scoring from anywhere on the field.

RedTiger61 said...

I like your idea about write-ups on some of the returning veterans and freshman .... but, I started to wonder, does anyone on Diane's staff work during the summer ??? .... you can't be serious that the SID position is only a 9-month a year position like a school teacher .... if I went to some overnight camp in Maine, would I find him teaching kids how to make lanyards ???? ... shouldn't the SID be doing something on the upcoming season ??? ..... hmmmm ....

oldlion said...

The SID should be beating the drum for Brackett