Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Captains, Our Captains




We learned today that QB Brett Nottingham and LB Ray Pesanello have been named co-captains by team vote for 2014.

I think this is good news on a number of fronts.

1)      THANK GOD for “captain deflation!” The practice on having several captains at once in reality means a team has no captains. The players need a centralized place to go with their concerns, ideas, etc. One guy for the offense and one guy for the defense is exactly right.
2)      My hunch seems to be right that Nottingham has truly earned the team’s respect for sticking with Columbia after last season’s quick injury and resulting debacle of an 0-10 season. This is a good sign of what looks like strong determination on his part to turn things around.

3)      I’m going to be optimistic and assume Pesanello got the votes because of some stepped up play on his part in camp. I like the Lions chances to field a solid linebacking crew if Pesanello can complement Pugliese and maybe someone like Gianmarco Rea or Max Keefe.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good choices. If your QB isn't the leader of the O then you have no O. Having your best LB as captain is the way to go.

Now all they have to do is carry the rest of the guys. 2.5 weeks to go.

Unknown said...

Max Keefe and Keith Brady are ahead of Rea.

alawicius said...

Jake, I think Kal (I forget his last name, the former qb/db) is pencilled in for the third linebacking spot. Agree with you about good captains.

Chick said...

Kal Prince and I hope he is one.

oldlion said...

I think Rea is one of the guys who Pete said in his preseason remarks wasn't here for the summer. Unless you are the second coming of Archie Roberts going home for the summer relegates you to the doghouse.

Jake said...

I like Pesanello, but the best LB is Vinny Pugliese.

Anonymous said...

Pugliese has suffered another concussion and is done for the year.

Anonymous said...

VP is gone. Another concussion

Anonymous said...

Gone. Concussion again.

Anonymous said...

VP. Is done. Multiple concussions.
Chick and Seegrunt may dispute this as Danny and I have never contributed note worthy to this blog,
but I challenge them to stop trying to down grade our contributions and upgrade your worthless blow hard
criticism of people who are trying to add useful info to the blog.

Unknown said...

Pat, I knew Vinnie was out with an injury but I didn't know it was that severe. Thanks for the update.

WOF said...

I love the info you guys add it is just that is so freaking sad that you to provide more info than the team and/or the SID does...

It's as if you provide the only information.

Doesn't that strike you as odd and slightly incompetent of the staff and admin?

WOF said...

I said this on an older post that might get ignored so I will post it here, too:

I would really appreciate it Danny or Pat would ask the staff why they treat the former players and fans with such little regard. I want to know if they are purposely alienating themselves from us or if it is simply out of ignorance and incompetence.

I don't need to know the gameplan or anything like that but they could be doing so much more to turn us around, make even a token effort to include us, and garner our support of them.

Thanks in advance for the insight.

Anonymous said...

Danny,
I may have jumped the gun a little. Hope the next couple weeks things change for Vinnie.
WOF. Can't speak for Danny,
but I have no contacts with the FB staff.

WOF said...

Thanks, then my follow up question would be why do you think the staff alienates so many?