Thursday, September 18, 2014

Week Four Picks




It was another mixed week for my picks as I went 2-0 straight up but only 1-1 against the spread.

That puts me at 5-2 straight up and 3-3 against the spread for the season.

But this week, the Ivy season finally begins and I at least get more games to work with.

So away we go...


Holy Cross +14 at Harvard

The Crimson will win this game, but the Crusaders have a history of playing Harvard close. I like Holy Cross to cover, Harvard to win.


Brown -14 1/2 at Georgetown

The Bears don't look great this year, but Coach Estes always has his guys ready for a new season. If Brown doesn't cover or somehow loses this game, it will be a very bad sign for Brown. \


Colgate -5 1/2 over Cornell

This game and the spread seems like a trap. Even a good Cornell team should be a bigger underdog at Colgate than this. Something's not right here, but I won't question it. Take Colgate and lay the points.


Jacksonville + 11 1/2 over Penn

I like the Quakers to win this game, but Penn has been starting slowly in recent years and I think the game will be closer than many think. Take the points.


Yale -2 1/2 over Lehigh 

Lehigh is poised for a down year after a long run of stellar seasons. Yale has been a fast starter-slow finisher team in recent years. I like the Elis to cover at home.

San Diego +23 1/2 over Princeton

I like the Tigers to win, but I think there will be a slight humbling of the Princeton machine for at least one week. This game will be decided by 14 to 17 points, but that's it.


CCSU +17 at Dartmouth

CCSU has been an inconsistent team so far, but I think playing an Ivy team in that team's home opener will inspire them to bring their "A" game. I think Dartmouth will pull away late for a 10-14 point win.


Monmouth + 2 1/2 at Duquesne

I think this Monmouth team could be very good this year. I like them to cover AND beat Duquesne.


Albany -7 1/2 at Rhode Island

I really don't think Rhode Island is very good. It will be a stretch for a low-scoring Albany team to cover on the road, but their offense has had a bye week to work out some of the kinks.





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do not see Holy Cross doing much in this one, despite history. Harvard covers easily.

G-town is a wildcard. They could be horrible but sometimes they up their game. -14 does seem high for an unproven Brown squad. I'm curious and may watch this one.

Colgate looks strong this year. Maybe not the same type of force that has leveled opponents in FCS playoffs in years past but they should have no problem with Cornell.

Isn't Jacksonville a FBS program? No clue why this would be on Penn's schedule but +11 does seem high.

Haven't seen Lehigh but Yale has yet to do much to impress the last few seasons. Just handing the ball to a monster RB isn't enough of a game plan, especially against a talented Lehigh squad.

San Diego isn't usually such a featherweight but Princeton is a powerhouse. They can rack up 50.

-17 is too high for Dartmouth.

Albany is a better team than they were last year and will have no trouble blowing out Rhode Island. They have an excellent QB if their OL gives him
time.

Anonymous said...

Actually, I will revise my prediction for dartmouth. This will be a colossal blowout,. Central Conn is a fatty, talentless team other than a few lard duffs on D. Big Green by at least 40.

I remain, very truly yours, Richard Szathmary said...

Do we "owe" both Georgetown and Duquesne "away games? I remember we beat them both in what Brit newspapers would term "one=offs" at home. Since then, nothing from or about either potential opponent.