Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Friday Night Lights... for Everyone!



It looks like every Ivy team will be playing at least one game on a Friday night this coming season.

Harvard is the first team to unofficially get this out there as it posts two Friday night home games on it's single game ticket schedule web page.

I suspect this is part of NBC Sports Network's plans to increase viewership for its Ivy football coverage by putting the games out of the very crowded Saturday college football schedule. And I think it will work, especially with some of the key games like Dartmouth at Harvard on October 30th.

Friday evening football has a history in Ivies. I should say it HAD a history until freshman football teams were eliminated in 1993. When Columbia fielded excellent freshmen teams in 1987 and 1989, it was not uncommon to see louder crowds in the stands for the frosh games on Friday nights.

I expect to see Columbia play at least one of these night games, but I have no idea if it will be at home or on the road. NBC might really want to televise the big Penn-Columbia game on Friday night, but that is Homecoming weekend for the Lions and I don't think all the Saturday festivities can easily be moved to Friday night. Perhaps the home games against Harvard or Brown will be more feasible. I can also see the road game against Princeton as being a Friday night possibility.

Bottom line, I think this will help the league. It will help our games stand out and perhaps send a message to the Ivy presidents that new traditions can be a good thing. Maybe if this works out they'll finally approve Ivy entry into the FCS playoffs.

A man can dream,


5 comments:

oldlion said...

I respectfully dissent. Ivy football is Saturday afternoons. And without venue, we would be doing ourselves a disservice by eliminating the river view backdrop.

I remain, very truly yours, Richard Szathmary said...

Not sure I like this. What, so fans can watch "real" football, like Texas vs somebody, on Saturday? Traditionally, Friday nights have been given over to the high schools. THink they still should be.

I also well recall during my own day Friday late afternoon freshman (and "lightweight") games, which no one much attended.

Big Dawg said...

I tend to agree with oldlion. My vision of Lion games is a Fall afternoon. However, if it's a one-shot deal, probably no harm, and I'd be interested in the turnout. I wonder how many fans will make the trek to Baker in the dark, especially on the subway.

Also, I can't wait to see the response from our neighbors in Inwood.

Unknown said...

If the game's at Baker and if Columbia wants to draw more fans for a game that might have plenty of empty seats, why not have a post game fireworks show?? That would be cool with the background that surrounds the Stadium.

Big Dawg said...

A great idea.