Thursday, October 2, 2014

Week 6 Picks




It was a mixed week for me with a 6-2 record in straight up calls, but a paltry 3-5 against the spread.

So I now stand at 16-8 in straight up picks for the season and 12-11 ATS.

Now to this week


Yale -10 at Cornell

Yale may be ripe for a bit of a fall after that big emotional win over Army, but Cornell is just not quite ready to take full advantage. The Big Red may stay close, but in the end this feels like a 28-17 kind of win for the Elis. Take Yale and lay the points.


Penn +8 at Dartmouth

I like Dartmouth to win this game, but it will be close. Penn usually gets very up for this game and the Quakers need to show some signs of life. But injury issues are going to keep them out of the winner’s circle. This feels like a 28-24 win for the Big Green/


Harvard -18 ½ over Georgetown

A bit of stumble last week at Brown should motivate the Crimson to get back to grinding out big points. The defense has been consistently strong and should remain so.


Brown -9 ½ at Rhode Island

URI is bad. Just plain bad. Brown is getting better. I like the Bears to win and cover.


Fordham -12 ½ over Lafayette

The Rams seem fully recovered from their loss at Villanova and are back to full steam ahead. Lafayette is not ready to really challenge the Rams for four quarters.


Robert Morris +12 over Monmouth

I’m becoming more of a believer in Monmouth every day, but a 12 point spread on the road seems a little too much. I like the Hawks to win, but only by about 10 points.


James Madison -3 at Albany


This is one of the toughest games to call this week. Albany is a good team, but I just don’t see the Great Danes jumping high enough to beat JMU even at home. The three point spread is a killer, because that’s exactly how much I expect JMU to win by. I’ll suck it up and still lay the points. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like Penn to keep it close though I haven't seen this Dartmouth team yet. The Big Green highlight reel is impressive - even though it was against lowly Central Conn St. I am wondering if Dartmouth can be this year's Princeton from last year. They have big play capability.

I am intrigued if Georgetown's defense can rise to the challenge. They have been outstanding the last few weeks after opening the first 2 weeks pretty shaky (losses to Wagner and Dayton). Still, they have not given up more than 3TDs per game and that was their opener. They may have trouble scoring against Harvard however to keep it close.

Cornell is surprisingly resilient. They don't have a clicking offense but their D has improved. Yale could very well pull away by 20 or more but I don't think this Cornell team is as bad as previous seasons.

James Madison has a quick strike offense and will overwhelm Albany. Albany's QB is awful. I know others seem to think he is decent but I think he think he sucks. A quality defense will make him eat his wobbly duck passes. Omar is an excellent RB but he is smallish and JMU is fierce and agile. They should stuff him.

Fordham will beat Lafayette by at least 3 TDs.

URI is a good game for Brown to get settled and get their house in order.

Anonymous said...

My college football geekout strategy for Friday 10/3 Silicon Valley beer bash. You are all invited btw. One of the devops folks brewed up a batch of pumpkin and some kind of spice dark concoction.