Thursday, August 22, 2013

Repair Shop



I’ve already written a few posts about the personnel holes Columbia needs to fill and what I see as the top depth chart battles to be resolved in this training camp.

But as the team finally takes the field for real practices, I want to list what I see as the most crucial elements the Lions need to improve no matter who gets the starting slots.


My top concerns are all directly related to improving the overall offensive line, but I have others.

Here are my top eight:


1)      Pass protection (40 sacks allowed and almost constant harassment)
2)      Running production (only 3.0 yards per carry)
3)      Scoring TD’s in the red zone… or from anywhere (only 14 offensive TD’s)
4)      3rd down conversion percentage, (last in the league at 31%)
5)      Pass completion percentage, (just 51.9% of passes completed)
6)      Edge defense (no real stat here, but opposing runners like Carlton Koonce and Tyler Varga killed us when they turned the corner)
7)      Interceptions (Columbia didn’t have nearly enough INT’s in 2012, only picking off 10 of 302 passes against)
8)      Defense against the bomb (the Lions allowed a hefty 7.3 yards per pass thrown and 11.9 yards per pass completed)

I know I’m missing some and I encourage everyone to weigh in with what you saw as key issues that need fixing in camp.

While the entire offensive line depth chart will be huge, Columbia’s need to defend the perimeter better this year leads to more than just a little curiosity about who will get the starting linebacker slots on either side of defensive team leader Zach Olinger.

In his notes about junior LB Vinny Pugliese, Head Coach Pete Mangurian praised his abilities along the edge so I wonder if #35 has a leg up on the competition. But that’s just one guess.
As far as completion percentage and 3rd down conversions, the hope is that Brett Nottingham will give us a big upgrade on both. I still say Sean Brackett was the most talented overall QB Columbia, but injuries and questionable coaching choices got in the way.

No comments: